Skip to content

Retirement and Pensions

Formalizing Retirement Date

Article 31 of the Collective Agreement covers what is needed to formalize your resignation. According to this article, you would send the letter to the President of the University, copying your Head and Dean. The Article states that the preference is that you provide 4 months’ notice prior to the date of resignation, but this is not a requirement. However, providing adequate notice helps ensure that the start of your pension is not delayed (and while a delay would not result in a reduction in your benefit, it may mean you are provided late with the remuneration retroactively). It also makes it easier for your Faculty to plan.

Find out more about the Universities Academic Pension Plan (UAPP)

When it comes to the UAPP pension, depending on your personal situation (e.g. marital status, dependents), there are options you can consider that would affect survivor benefits and/or guarantees for your beneficiaries/estate. These would have impacts on what your monthly pension amounts would be. Additional information on the UAPP can be found on the UAPP website and on the University’s Website

If you have questions specific to your situation, you can contact the University’s pension office by email at [email protected] or the UAPP administrative office at

Extended Health and Dental Plans

Extended health insurance benefits are often a major concern for members beginning their retirement since the coverage under the University’s employee plan will end with retirement. We point this out as alternative plans often have a brief window of about 60 days after retirement that allows recent retirees to join a plan without complications.

It is recommended that members research extended health and dental plans prior to retirement. The Faculty Association does not make recommendations on available plans, but we can give members some examples of plans that are available.

Vacation Entitlement

When planning retirement dates, academic staff are expected to take into account their vacation entitlement. Schedule ‘A’, Article 2.17 of the Collective Agreement deals with how vacation can be paid out if a member is unable to use their vacation prior to retiring. An academic staff member is expected to take their full entitlement to paid vacation prior to termination (retirement). Except where the fulfilment of University duties precludes a staff member from taking their full entitlement, pay in lieu will not be permitted. It is best to work the vacation entitlement into the planned retirement date unless there are assigned duties such as teaching which prevent this.

Research and Scholarship Leave Leading to Retirement

There is a “research and scholarship leave retirement program” or as some call it, “terminal RSL” provision in Article 16.21 of the Collective Agreement. The primary benefit of this provision is that members do not need to complete the return service following RSL or Admin Leaves.

The eligibility and timeline requirements for this program were updated in the 2020-2024 Collective Agreement. To be eligible to use this provision, members must be 60 years or older and have 15 years of continuous service or be 65 years and older with 3 years of service.

If members would like to take advantage of this program, they should give notice no less than three months prior to the start of the leave. In addition, if a member wishes to give notice after these deadlines, they can make the request to the Dean and approval will not be unreasonably denied.

Reduced Duties Leading to Retirement

In Schedule A, Article 2.22, there is a provision for Reduced Duties Leading to Retirement.  In this section, a member who is considering retirement can apply to have reduced duties in one of three forms.  Alternative options may be considered. For example, a member could ask to work at 50% of duties for two years at half salary. The benefit is that the University pays the benefits for the member as if they were working full time. This includes pension contributions for this period where the University pays as if the member were at full salary, including the member’s portion for the period of time they are not being paid.

Assessment of Retiring Academic Staff

Academic staff members who have announced their resignation or retirement from the University to commence by December 31 in an assessment year shall not be required to submit an academic performance report nor be assessed, but they shall be provided with a default progress through the ranks increment (Article 29.3.1). Retiring academic staff who wish to be considered for an outstanding achievement award may provide an academic progress report with appropriate supplementary information (Article 29.3.1).

Post-Retirement Employment

In Schedule ‘A’, Article 2.23, there is a provision for Post-retirement Employment of Academic Staff if this is something you feel applicable to your circumstances. If you are considering this, you would want to explore any post-retirement employment before formalizing your retirement date.

Emeriti Status

The process for applying for emeriti can currently be found in the 2005 GPC Manual. The current process is such that retiring from the academic staff of The University of Calgary following a minimum of ten years’ service while holding a “Continuing”, “Contingent Term” or “Limited Term”(full or part-time) Board of Governors’ appointment automatically has their case forwarded to the FTPC for consideration.

Retirement Seminars

The Faculty Association regularly hosts retirement seminars that mainly focus on financial planning. These seminars are generally held once in the Fall and once in the Winter semesters and are announced to members via email.

Back To Top